Monday, July 27, 2009

Sreesanth looks up to Donald again

KOCHI: Three years ago, a chat with pace great Allan Donald helped S. Sreesanth win a historic Test for India in South Africa.

Sreesanth will get a chance to meet South African Donald all over again and get a few tips that could send him back to big time.

The young fast bowler confirmed on Monday that he would be joining Warwickshire shortly to play in the English County Championship. Donald is Warwickshire’s bowling coach.

“I’ll be going within a few days and will be in England till September 27 when Warwickshire plays its last match,” said the 26-year-old on Monday. “I’m very thrilled because Donald helped my career in a big way, I got the man of the match award in that 2006 Test in Johannesburg because of his advice.”

Getting away from India in a way will also take a lot of pressure away from the young man.

“Here, whenever I meet people, they always ask me when I would get back into the Indian team,” said the former India star. “The county stint will make me more mature in a lot of ways, will help me get wickets and will help me know myself better. It will help me in the long term.”

The county stint offers a big chance to get back to big-time cricket, feels the Kerala youngster. He is also thrilled about the history the club holds.

Dream come true

“It’s a club where Brian Lara scored his world record first class score of 501. So, it’s a dream come true.”

Sreesanth, who was made the captain of the Kerala team for the forthcoming KSCA all-India tournament in Bangalore, said he would be playing seven matches for Warwickshire in the country championship’s second phase. “The good thing is, out of my 45-day stay there, I’ll be playing 36 days. It will help me stay focused every day.” — Principal Correspondent

No comments:

Post a Comment