Saturday, August 22, 2009

my first break -- poorna


How it happened

As a student in Kerala, my school wanted me to do something novel. So, I learnt to dance Bharatanatyam wearing roller skates. I came first in inter-school competitions and also in National-level contests. My photos were published in newspapers, and I started getting calls from directors. I started off with the sister’s role in Pachakuthira (Malayalam). I played a lot of second leads before turning heroine. That was when I signed up for Kodaikanal (Tamil).

How it felt

My second film, Muniyandi Vilangiyal Moondram Aandu, directed by Thirumurugan, released before Kodaikanal. I saw the film in Bangalore where I was shooting for a Kannada movie. Posters of the film were put up all over the place, and my family and friends were delighted.

How life changed

Until a few years ago, I could go out by myself in any part of the country. Not any more, at least in the South. People walk up to me and tell me they appreciate my work. I love good food, but can’t eat whatever I want anymore — my mother is my diet doctor! Earlier, I could go out as I pleased; now, I need to dress up appropriately before I step out of home. Inside, I am the same girl though. I am now working in some plum projects such as Vithagan, opposite actor-director R. Parthepan

No comments:

Post a Comment